Friday, April 29, 2011

Gonna Make a Dress

McCall's M5800
I haven't done any real sewing lately, and to pull myself out of this rut, I decided to actually use a commercial pattern, using McCall's M5800.

I picked up this pretty pattern from a local fabric store for only $1.99! I was so happy when I found this in the sale pattern section, among the hundreds of others. I had seen this one before, but not in the right size. This was 20th pattern I flipped to, and the right size! I felt like the universe was smiling down on me that day!

I love the simple and classic shape for this dress. I think I'll be able to make lots of pretty frocks with this pattern! I'm thinking floral dresses, little black dresses, anything really! I'm planning on making one in a pretty pink cotton, much like the dress on the pattern sleeve.

Typically, I'd try to churn out this dress in a day, but I'm planning on taking it slow, actually make a muslin and make adjustments, etc. Right now I'm tracing the pattern pieces to keep the tissue pieces intact if necessary.

I will update on the process!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

You Remind Me

As is my habit for window shopping, I was looking through Modcloth and discovered this pretty minty frock.

Sea Salt Breeze Dress
It reminds me of this dress that I made a few months ago!


Pretty close? I think so!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chic and Simple Sewing: You're So Shifty Dress


I completed this dress in early January, using $1.50/yd fabric. I'm not sure of the fabric make-up, but it has an interesting texture; I can't quite put my finger on it. Anyway, the pattern is from Christine Haynes Chic & Simple Sewing, which includes a variety of dress, top, and jacket patterns, all of which do not require zippers or other fasteners.


Here is a picture of the book's version of the dress:

(Sorry for the poor picture quality)

I think this dress has an interesting neckline design in spite of its overall simplicity. However, upon completion of the dress, I found the actual thing kind of shapeless, so I inserted a casing for elastic at the waist, which is concealed by the belt on the mannequin. I think the elastic gives the dress better shape, so I will likely do the same for future dresses made with the pattern.

This pattern was relatively quick to whip up. There are only 6 pattern pieces (dress front and back, and two sets of front and back yoke pieces) and bias tape involved in assembly. I probably finished cutting and sewing in about four hours. Not bad if you want a new dress in a jiffy!

With my straw fedora from H&M