Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sewing Update: I am a Nocturnal Sewing Machine

Hello there! Finally I've been getting some solid (late-night) sewing in, so I have something to update here!

tie_dress_1

I just completed this dress this morning! I didn't use a pattern and pretty much winged it with a "cut-and-sew" approach. I was inspired by the Vogue pattern V8380, which I considered buying but dissuaded myself with the somewhat naive idea that I could draft something similar myself.

IMG_5836


It didn't work out exactly as I had envisioned, but I'm pleased with the final product, especially since I completed the entire dress in about four-five hours and "free-handed" a pattern.

IMG_5835

I used the rest of the fabric from this dress and lined it with muslin because I had it on hand. To make the casing for the ribbon, I made something like a very narrow facing which I stitched down to the bodice.

open_heart_dress_stripe_1

I also made another Open Heart dress, this time using up the left over fabric from my Valentine's Day Dress. It has the same bodice as my Yellow Bow dress. I cut out the pieces a while ago, but I became frustrated with the project and stopped working on it. I decided to finish it and put an open heart at the back, this time bound with bias tape.

IMG_5839


open_heart_dress_stripe_detail

Thank you for taking a look!

7 comments:

  1. That's a nice board you have! Do you have a sewing room? Loving this dress and the heart cut-out. I need to find some more time to sew...my sewing machine has collected dust

    Shasie
    Live Life in Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these dresses and they match so well! any chance of pictures of them being worn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the heart!!!! but i dont think i can ever make one like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg adorable!!! do you ever sell your pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dresses are just the cutest (from style and cut to fabric choice)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shasie: Haha that board is actually one of those folding, cardboard pattern-cutting thingies. It belonged to my mom, from ages ago! And my room is my sewing room :)

    sorbetsurprise: Thank you :) I will try to get some pictures up soon!

    ThisIsAlx: It's a lot easier than you think. You should definitely try it!

    Tanyabell: Thanks! I would love to start selling some of my work someday :)

    graverobbergirl: That's an enormous compliment coming from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love both dresses! I just thrifted one of those folding cutout cardboard scale things too! Anyways, you are very talented! If you ever sell, make sure you let me know! :)



    Meanz (Koi Story)

    ReplyDelete